Friday, June 4, 2010

McDonald's Recalls "Shrek" glasses

This morning McDonald's has issued a recall for 12 million of the glasses they have been using to promote the release of the latest and supposedly final installment of the "Shrek" films. Apparently these glasses have Cadmium in the paint. PLEASE do not let children drink out of these glasses. According to the article "We believe the Shrek glassware is safe for consumer use," Whitman said. "However, again to ensure that our customers receive safe products from us, we made the decision to stop selling them and voluntarily recall these products effective immediately." From what I am reading in the article, the cadmium can get on the hands while the glass is being used, then can enter the body if the hands are not washed after using the glass. Personally, I do not wash my hands every single time I get a drink out of my glass, I don't know anyone who does. So I guess in that respect it could be a problem.

We bought one of the glasses. Am I seriously going to worry about the recall? Nope. With any of the glasses like that, they are bought strictly as decoration. My glass "Puss in Boots" is sitting on top of the entertainment center. I know beyond any reasonable shadow of a doubt, the glass will never be used for anything other than pencils, and things like that.

No comments: